Comparing mutual interests on a dinner date, Alex and I realized that we both had rock collections growing up (clearly we were meant to be together). This dessert reminds us of the amethyst geodes we both had in our stashes. After blending, freezing, and scraping, a short list of ingredients transforms into sparkling purple crystals. The blueberries, lime, maple, vanilla, and nutmeg morph into something we decided tastes decidedly purple. This is a refreshing dessert to follow Artisan Pizza, The Best Veggie Lasagna, or Kale and Goat Cheese Rigatoni.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (1 large lime)
- 2½ cups (12 ounces) fresh blueberries*
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon nutmeg
- Juice the lime. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and purée on high for about 1 minute until fully combined into a smooth, dark purple liquid. Taste and adjust lime or maple syrup if desired.
- Pour the liquid into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Freeze for 2 to 3 hours until mostly hardened, then scrape with a fork into a fluffy, slushy texture. Serve immediately or if desired, freeze until serving. If very icy, thaw slightly before serving.