Unlike the creamy American dessert of the same name, puddings from Great Britain are dense and cakey. This small-scale version includes pureed dates and a splash of brandy; after baking, the puddings are coated with a delectable toffee glaze.
- Yield: 14
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for tins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for tins
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup brandy
- 8 ounces plump, moist dates (preferably Medjool), halved and pitted
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- Toffee Glaze
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush standard muffin tins with butter; dust with flour, tapping out excess. Bring the water, brandy, and dates to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover, and cook until dates are very soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a food processor and puree until smooth. Let cool 15 minutes.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and brown sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of date puree, and beating until just combined after each.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared cups. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, 23 to 25 minutes. (Toward the end of the baking time, make the glaze.)
- As soon as they are removed from the oven, use a toothpick to lift one side of each cupcake so they are all slightly tilted; lifting a cupcake even more with your fingertips, pour 2 tablespoons glaze into each cup, then nudge cupcake back in place. Let cool 10 minutes.
- To finish, invert cupcakes onto a wire rack set over a baking sheet; spoon 2 tablespoons glaze over each, and let set. Serve immediately.