- Yield: 3 cups (900 g)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into ½-in [12-mm] pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup [200 g] brown sugar (light or dark)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1½ tsp freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
- Put the sweet potatoes in a large pot with water to cover. Bring to a gentle boil over high heat, add the salt, and cook until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, allspice, and pepper. Add the sweet potatoes along with 2 cups [480 ml] of their cooking water and blend until smooth.
- Pour the jam into the large pot and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cover the pot, leaving the lid slightly askew (so moisture can escape, but not the splattering jam). Simmer the jam gently, stirring and scraping the sides of the pot occasionally, until it is thick and sticky, about 30 minutes. To test whether your jam is done, spoon a little onto a plate. If it is runny after it has cooled for a few minutes, continue cooking. Cool the jam to room temperature and transfer to mason jars. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.