- Yield: 4 Servings
BLACK GARLIC MARINADE
- 50 grams | 1 ¾ ounces whole green garlic
- 18 grams | 2 tablespoons Korean black garlic cloves
- 60 grams | ¼ cup water
- 6 grams | 1 tablespoon vegetable ash
- 1 gram | ¼ teaspoon squid ink
VEAL SWEETBREADS PREPARATION
- 475 grams | 2 cups whole milk
- 475 grams | 2 cups water
- 60 grams | ⅓ cup kosher salt
- 400 grams | 14 ounces heart-type veal sweetbreads
- black garlic marinade
- extra virgin olive oil
PICKLED WILD GARLIC CLOVES
- 12 | tiny cloves wild garlic
- 250 grams | 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 150 grams | ⅔ cup water
- kosher salt
How to Make It
- FOR THE BLACK GARLIC MARINADE: Prepare a fire in a wood-burning oven. When the fire is at about 600°F (315°C), arrange the green garlic directly on the coals and char heavily for about 4 minutes, turning once halfway through the cooking process. Transfer the garlic to a blender and add the black garlic, water, vegetable ash, and squid ink. Mix on high speed for 3 minutes, until smooth. Transfer to a container and let cool in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- FOR THE VEAL SWEETBREADS: To make a brine, combine the milk, water, and kosher salt in a plastic container with a lid. Cut the sweetbreads into 2-inch (5-centimeter) pieces and submerge them in the liquid. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Remove the sweetbreads from the brine and pat dry with cloth towels, making sure that the exterior is very dry. Discard the brine. Mix together the black garlic marinade and sweetbreads in a bowl. Arrange the pieces in a single layer with the marinade in vacuum bags and seal on high. Cook the sweetbreads in a steam oven set at 200°F (95°C) for 18 minutes. Remove the bags from the oven and press between 2 metal pans topped with a weight of at least 2.3 kilograms (5 pounds). Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or for up to 24 hours.
- FOR THE PICKLED WILD GARLIC CLOVES: Using a knife, remove the bulb portion of each garlic, then carefully separate into individual cloves. Discard the remaining shell. Put the cloves in a heatproof container. Combine the vinegar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Pour over the garlic cloves and hold at about 190°F (88°C) for 10 minutes. Season with kosher salt and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- FOR THE GARLIC MILK JAM: Combine the garlic cloves and milk in a small saucepan, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, remove from the heat, and let steep at 200°F (95°C) for 20 minutes. Strain through a chinois into a blender and discard the garlic. Add the gellan base to the blender and mix on high speed for 2 minutes, until smooth. Strain through a chinois into a container and let cool in the refrigerator. Season with kosher salt, then transfer to a squeeze bottle and store in the refrigerator until needed.
- FOR THE POACHED GREEN GARLIC: Trim off the bulb end Trim off the bulb end of each garlic, cutting about ¼ inch (6 millimeters) from the roots. Portion each stem by cutting at the point where it turns from white to green, discarding the upper portion. Place the stems in a bowl and season with the olive oil and kosher salt. Arrange the stems in a vacuum bag and seal on high. Cook the stems in a steam oven set at 200°F (95°C) for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath. When the stems are ready, immerse the bag in the ice bath for 30 minutes. Remove the garlic from the bag and cut into 1-inch (2.5-centimeter) pieces. Line a sheet pan with paper towels and arrange the garlic on the towels.
- FOR THE ROASTED WILD AGRETTI: Heat a cast-iron pan over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the olive oil and then quickly add the agretti and char for about 1 minute, until crispy. Remove from the pan, pat dry on paper towels, and season with kosher salt.