Flatbreads can also take a sweet turn on a cool spring on autumn night, sit under the stars and let the honey drip from your chin. You’ll want whole cardamom pods to crush and grind yourself to get the best aroma and flavor. You can find green cardamom in the pod at Middle Eastern markets, herb and spice shops, and natural food stores. If you can’t find cardamom, then substitute ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Lavender colored chive blossoms provide a beautiful, edible garnish.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- ½ cup wildflower, clover, or other amber colored honey
- 5 green cardamom pods
- ½ cup shelled, roughly chopped pistachios
- 1 recipe Stir-Together Flatbread Dough
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
- Chive blossoms for garnish
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in your grill. Pour the honey into a bowl.
- With a paring knife, slit open the cardamom pods, and pick off and discard the pods. Transfer the seeds to a spice grinder and grind finely.
- For the Stir-Together Flatbread Dough, transfer the dough to a floured surface and cut into 8 pieces. Flour a rolling pin or your hands and roll or pat each piece into an oval 4 inches long and ¼ inch thick.
- Brush the top and bottom side of each dough oval with olive oil. Grill over direct medium-high heat until you see the dough starting to bubble like a pancake, 2 to 3 minutes, and the bottoms have good grill marks. Turn and grill for 1 more minute, or until the other side has good grill marks. Drizzle with honey. Sprinkle with the ground cardamom and pistachios. Garnish with chive blossoms and serve hot with plenty of napkins.