Traditional scones with a touch of vanilla. Serve with thick cream and strawberry jam.
- 250 g cake flour
- 15 ml baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 150 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split and deseeded
- 125 g cold butter, cubed and kept ice cold until used
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 220 °C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. To make the Scones
- Sift together the dry ingredients. Whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla seeds in a jug, then pour over the dry ingredients. Add the butter and mix lightly to form a soft dough. Do not overwork the mixture; lumps are essential for a soft and fluffy scone. Shaping and Baking
- On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a 2 cm-thick circle. Using a 6 cm round cookie cutter press out 8 scones and bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve the scones hot from the oven, halved and spread with a generous layer of butter.