Baked Apples are like heaven in a bowl. My mother believed in feeding us well, and that meant few decadent desserts. When we did indulge, it was usually with these huge warm apples, bubbling with butter and melted sugar. Serve with ice cream or a glass of milk.
- Yield: 4 apples
- 4 large baking apples (Rome or Honeycrisp works well)
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Stem and partially core the apples, being careful not to make a hole all the way through.
- In a large bowl, mix together half the butter and half the sugar. Stuff the apples with the butter-sugar mixture and top with walnuts.
- Melt the rest of the butter and sugar in a castiron Dutch oven or skillet with a lid.
- Nestle the apples in the pan and cover. Cook over medium-low heat for 30 to 45 minutes, or until soft.