If there’s only one banana nut muffin left at your favorite New York City coffee shop, you can make some at home. These also make great freebies for any lovely ladies who may, or may not, be celebrating their birthday.
- Yield: 12 muffins
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 22 Minutes
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups mashed banana (about 3 medium very ripe bananas)
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper baking cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk the whole wheat flour, rolled oats, ground cinnamon, baking soda, and salt to combine.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer, or a medium mixing bowl if using a hand mixer, add the mashed bananas. With the mixer set to medium speed, crack in the eggs, and pour in the vegetable oil, honey, milk, and vanilla extract. Combine thoroughly.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling all the way to the top of each paper baking cup. Bake for 5 minutes at 450°F, then reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake for an additional 16 to 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean of crumbs.