This is a quick and easy to make, simple, but tantalisingly tasty beef cannelloni. It’s a classic Italian dish that has stood the test of time and never fails to amaze. The wine adds a hearty richness to the minced beef filling like no other.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Preparation Time: 45 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 Hour 5 Minutes
- 1 lb (450 g) lean mince
- 1 cup (250 ml) olive oil
- 1 lb (2 x 400 g) tins whole plum tomatoes
- 1 onion thinly sliced (optional) or substitute for small ginger finely grated
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) dried sage
- 1 ml (¼ tsp) dried rosemary
- ½ cup (125 ml) white wine
- 12 cannelloni
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bechamel sauce
How to Make It
Beef Sauce Filling
- Using a large frying pan on a medium heat, heat the oil and sauté the beef with the onion, sage and rosemary; break up any clumps of mince with a wooden spoon. Cook until the meat is evenly browned and crumbly. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, then add the white wine; cook until the wine is evaporated.
- Melt 30 g (1 oz) butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat and sauté the optional onion or ginger until soft and tender. Add the remaining 125 ml (½ cup) of white wine and cook until it evaporates; add tomatoes and salt. Mix well; then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Boil a large pan of lightly salted water. Now add the cannelloni tubes, a few at a time, and cook until al dente; then using a slotted spoon, remove immediately into a pan filled with cold water. Lift pasta out with slotted spoon and arrange on a flat surface or board.
- Preheat oven to 200 C (400F) / Gas 5.
- Insert the meat filling into each tube, starting from one end and using your finger to push the meat paste into each shell. Lay each filled tube in a large baking dish and then pour on the béchamel sauce and sprinkle with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until heated through. Allow to stand for 5 minutes, then serve.