- Yield: 6 Servings as a side
- 2 jars of pickled beetroot/beets, to give you around 600 g/1 lb. 5 oz. of beetroot/beets once drained
- sugar, if needed
- 1 tart apple (Granny Smith or similar)
- a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup (75 g) mayonnaise
- ½ cup (100 g) crème fraîche or sour cream
- 2–3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
- Drain the beetroot/beets, then dice into cubes no larger than 1 cm/½ in. Taste to see if it needs sugar – if so, sprinkle a little on top of the beetroot/beets (around 1–2 tablespoons, according to taste).
- Peel and core the apple, then cube to the same size as the beetroot. Squeeze the lemon juice over the apple cubes.
- To make the dressing, mix the mayonnaise and crème fraîche or sour cream with the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Mix the beetroot/beets and apple together, then mix with the dressing. It will appear quite pink at this point, but will go darker after a few hours in the fridge as the juices penetrate the dressing. You can always add a dollop of mayo just before serving if you feel it has gone too dark – aim for a bright, deep pink.