This Mexican-American treat is filling enough for a main meal, but is equally good served cold or packed into a lunch bag.
- Yield: 8 burritos
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- ⅓ cup red quinoa, rinsed
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into cubes
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lime juice
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tomatoes
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups shredded romaine lettuce
- salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make It
- Put the quinoa, water, and a pinch of salt into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes, or according to package directions. Remove from the heat, but keep the pan covered for 5 minutes to let the grains swell. Fluff up with a fork.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add half the red onion, half the green chile, and half the red bell pepper and cook until softened. Add the beans, cooked quinoa, half the lime juice, and half the cilantro and cook for 3–4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Halve the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds. Add the seeds to the bean mixture. Finely chop the flesh and transfer it to a bowl. Add the remaining red onion, green chile, red bell pepper, lime juice, and cilantro to the bowl, season with salt and stir well.
- Put ⅓ cup of the bean mixture on top of each tortilla. Sprinkle with the tomato salsa, cheese, and lettuce. Fold the end and sides of the tortillas over the filling, roll up, and serve.