Many Polish recipes make use of twaróg or Polish soft white cheese. These days, curd cheese is usually available at the deli counter, although traditionally Poles would make fresh cheese at home from cows’ milk curds. In simple dishes like this one, you could use cream cheese or any soft, spreadable white cheese. Here, I’ve sweetened the cheese by stirring through honey.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 3½ oz (100 g) twaróg, curd cheese or cream cheese
- 4 tsp honey, plus 4 tsp for drizzling
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 4 slices of rye or other bread
- 3 tbsp walnuts, chopped
- In a small bowl, mix the cheese with 4 teaspoons of honey.
- Butter the bread and then spread the cheese mixture over each slice. Drizzle over the remaining honey and sprinkle over the chopped walnuts.