- Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
- 3 pounds (6 to 8 medium) russet or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1¼ cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) salted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (optional)
How to Make It
- Put the cubed potatoes in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Add enough water to cover by about 2 inches. Cook over medium heat until the potatoes fall apart when pressed with the back of a spoon or pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until smooth. Slowly stir in the buttermilk. Stir in the butter, salt, and pepper, if using, and serve.