Caldo verde (“green soup”) is one of the national dishes of Portugal. It is a particular specialty of descendants of the Portuguese seamen who settled along the New England coast.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- ½ pound linguiça or chorizo sausage (or any garlicky smoked sausage), sliced
- 8 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 3–4 medium-sized potatoes (1 pound), peeled and diced
- 12 ounces kale, stems discarded and leaves chopped (8 cups lightly packed)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
- Combine the sausage and broth in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer while you prepare the potatoes.
- Combine the potatoes with water to cover in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Boil until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and briefly mash with a potato masher for an uneven, lumpy texture. Add to the chicken stock along with the kale.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the kale is quite tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot.