- Yield: 2 dozen
- 1 cup (225 g) packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (125 g) applesauce
- ½ cup (120 ml) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (28 g) flax meal
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1½cups (185 g) Bob’s Red Mill white or brown rice flour
- ½ cup (60 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon (4.6 g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (4.6 g) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon (1.5 g) salt
- 1 teaspoon (2. 3 g) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (1.1 g) ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon (0.9 g) ground ginger
- 2 cups (160 g) certified gluten-free rolled oats
- 1½ cups (180 g) finely grated carrots (about 3 large carrots)
- 1 cup (165 g) packed sulfite-free raisins
- 2 cups (240 g) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons (25 g) Spectrum Organic Shortening
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) rice milk or safe milk alternative
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). For the Cakes
- In a mixer cream together sugars, applesauce, oil, flax, and vanilla. Add in rice flour and next 7 ingredients (through ginger) and blend until smooth. Mix in oats, carrots, and raisins. Chill dough in fridge until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Using a small ice cream/cookie scoop, scoop dough onto a baking sheet lined with nonstick parchment paper or aluminum foil, leaving 2 inches (5 cm) between cookies. Flatten slightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden. Remove with a spatula to a fl at surface to cool. For Filling
- Combine filling ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Once cookies have cooled completely, use a spatula to spread about 2 teaspoons of filling onto a cookie. Top with a second cookie to make a sandwich. Repeat with remaining cookies.