Celeriac is a very underrated vegetable, but the Poles use it plentifully in raw salads. This recipe also works really well with grated carrots. It’s a lovely salad in its own right, and also goes well alongside warm dishes: I like to serve it with Polish meatballs.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 large celeriac, or 4 large carrots, peeled
- 2 small green apples
- 1¾ oz 0.33 cup (50 g) golden sultanas or raisins
- ½ tsp caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tbsp apple juice
- 3 tbsp soured cream or mayonnaise
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grate the celeriac or carrots; peel and grate the apples; if you like, you could grate them in a food processor.
- Tip them into a large serving bowl. Add the sultanas or raisins, sugar, apple juice and soured cream or mayonnaise, then stir well. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.