This broccoli and cheese soup is warm, rich, creamy… and ready to eat in thirty minutes! This is the ultimate comfort food when it’s chilly out and incredibly fast to whip up. It tastes wonderful paired with warm rolls, garlic toast, or bread bowls.
- Yield: 4 to 6 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) salted butter
- ¾ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (1 teaspoon)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1½ cups half-and-half
- 1½ cups 2% milk, plus more if needed
- ¾ teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper or black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 to 3 cups ½-inch broccoli pieces
- 1 cup French-cut (shredded) carrots
- 2 to 3 cups shredded sharp or mild cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
- In a medium stockpot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for a minute more. Slowly whisk in the flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the mixture is light golden brown.
- While whisking, slowly add the chicken stock. Stir in the half-and-half and milk and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir in the broccoli and carrots and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes. Cook until the broccoli is tender. If you like your soup more pureed, you can mash the broccoli with a potato masher or carefully transfer the soup to a blender and pulse. If you’d like to thin the soup, you can add up to ½ cup more milk.
- Mix in the cheeses and stir until just combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup hot. Stir just before serving.