This soup will come as a wonderful surprise to many. The smooth and creamy chestnuts make it the perfect holiday soup.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 lb cooked and chopped chestnuts
- ½ cup cognac
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ cup heavy cream
How to Make It
- Heat the butter in a soup pot.
- Sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the chestnuts and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cognac and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and add the bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove and stir in the heavy cream.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and puree to a smooth consistency.