- Yield: 12 brownies
- Cooking Time: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, melted, plus more for brushing
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp licorice root powder
- 2 tsp ground anise seeds
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup chopped soft black licorice chews (3 oz)
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 9-inch-square baking pan with paper or foil, leaving 2 inches of overhang on 2 sides. Brush the paper with butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the cocoa powder, licorice root powder, anise and salt. In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter with both sugars, then whisk in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients, then three-fourths of the chocolate and licorice chews. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Gently press the remaining chocolate and licorice chews into the batter.
- Bake the brownies for about 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, with a few moist crumbs attached. Let the brownies cool completely, then lift them out of the pan using the paper. Cut the brownies into 12 rectangles and serve.