- Yield: 4 Servings
- 8 oz (250 g) bengal gram dhal (whole)
- 17 fl oz (500 ml) water
- salt to taste
- 1 Tbs oil
- 8 oz (250 g) potatoes, chopped
- 8 oz (250 g) cauliflower, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 small green capsicum, chopped
Ingredients for ground paste
- 2 red chillies
- 2 cups coconut, grated
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 em (½ in) piece ginger root, grated
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into 1 em (½ in) pieces
- 2 cloves
How to Make It
- Soak the bengal gram dhal in water overnight. Discard the soaking water, and then cook the dhal with the water and salt, covered, for 1 hour in a heavy-bottomed pot or 12 minutes in a pressure cooker.
- Grind the seven ingredients listed with some water to a fine paste. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pot. Add the bengal gram dhal and fry over a medium heat for a few seconds, then add the potatoes and cauliflower and fry for a few more seconds.
- Add the ground paste and fry for several more seconds, and then add water and salt to taste. Mix well, then cover with the lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and capsicum and fry until all the vegetables are cooked and the gravy has thickened.
- When it is ready, transfer to a serving bowl. Serve hot with chapattis or with rice.