Chocolate cream pies were often found on the menus of local diners in the 1950s and ’60s. There’d often be stainless-steel siding and a jukebox in the corner while a freshly made chocolate cream pie sat under a glass dome on the counter.
- Yield: 8 to 10 Servings
- Preparation Time: 20 Minute
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2¼ cups whole milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 refrigerated pie crust, baked according to the package directions
- Whipped topping, thawed, for garnish
How to Make It
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk gently to combine. Set over medium-high heat. While stirring continuously, slowly add the milk and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour into the pie crust and chill until firm.
- Dollop the whipped topping over the pie.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or until ready to serve.