The shimmering ruby-red and jewel-like arils of winter’s pomegranate shine against the backdrop of the mellow green of creamy avocado in this so-good-you-cannot-stop-eating-it holiday treat. Packed with three super foods and magnificent fruity flavors, it’s also nothing to feel guilty about when going back for more. Make up to 1 hour before serving (to prevent discoloration) and serve room temperature with warm Homemade Pita Chips.
- Yield: 2 cups (450 g)
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and seeded
- ½ cup (120 ml) fresh orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and very finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fruity extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried orange peel
- ½ cup (90 g) pomegranate arils
- ¼ cup (10 g) finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Scoop out the flesh from the avocados with a soup spoon and mash, with a fork or manual masher (Basic Mashing Tools), in a medium bowl with the orange juice, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Fold in the olive oil, orange peel, pomegranate arils, and fresh parsley. Serve immediately or tightly wrap (to the surface of the guacamole) with plastic wrap and serve within the hour. Garnish with a few more pomegranate seeds and fresh parsley.