- Yield: 12 madeleines
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 6 tablespoons spring or filtered water
- ⅓ cup vegan butter substitute, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry or sprouted whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and oil a madeleine pan very well. (A madeleine pan is specific, with shell-like cups to hold the cookies. You can get one in most kitchen stores.)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the arrowroot with the water until smooth with no lumps. Mix in the vegan butter and vanilla. Whisk in the coconut sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt until a smooth batter forms. It will be quite loose.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons batter into each madeleine cup, but do not overfill. Bake for 14 minutes, or until the cookies spring back to the touch. Cool completely before turning out of the madeleine pan.
- These will keep, in a sealed container, for about a week before they grow too soggy to be enjoyable.