- Yield: 4 Servings
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
For the Tortos
- ¾ tsp salt
- 7 oz (200 g) cornflour
- 2 oz (60 g) flour
- ¾ fl oz (20 ml) warm mineral water
- 34 fl oz (1 L) olive oil
For the Topping
- 5¼ fl oz (150 ml) mild olive oil
- 4 medium onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp cream
- ¼ oz (5 g) Cabrales cheese (or any kind of blue cheese)
- pinch of salt
- 2 organic eggs
How to Make It
- Mix together the salt with the two types of flour in a large bowl, and slowly add the warm water.
- Mix well until it forms a smooth dough and leave to rest for 6 hours.
- Make the topping by putting the 150 ml (5¼ fl oz) olive oil in a large frying pan and adding the onions. Fry them very gently over a low heat until they turn dark brown (this should take about two hours).
- Divide the dough into small portions of about 20 g (¾oz), and stretch them out into circles of about 9 cm (3½in) in diameter.
- Heat the 1 L (34 fl oz) olive oil in a large, high-sided, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Fry the tortos in the oil, turning them to ensure that they are evenly cooked. Remove from the oil when puffed up and golden, and drain on kitchen paper.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the cream, Cabrales cheese and pinch of salt together until they melt, and add to the caramelised onion.
- Put the onion mixture in a small frying pan. Break the two eggs into the pan, and stir briskly over a medium heat to make smooth, creamy scrambled eggs.
- Put a thin topping of the scrambled egg mixture on top of each torto and serve.