These are fab snacks and can be made in an instant. They are loosely based on Greek street food and are best served straight from the oven.
- Yield: 24 cigars
- 9 oz (250 g) feta
- 7 oz (200 g) spinach
- 1 large handful each fresh dill, coriander and basil
- 2 large handfuls fresh mint
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 egg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 7 oz (200 g) filo pastry cut into 20 x 15 cm (8 x 6 in) rectangles
- 2 oz (50 g) melted butter, for brushing the pastry
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F/Gas 7). Put everything (except the filo pastry and butter) into a blender and whiz until it becomes a thick paste. Brush both sides of the filo pastry rectangles with the melted butter.
- To make a cigar, plop a soup spoonful of the green paste onto the centre of one end of a filo rectangle. Roll it over a couple of times and then fold in the sides. Keep rolling the pastry until you have a cigar shape. Place it on a baking sheet covered with greaseproof paper. Repeat the process with the rest of the filo pastry rectangles. Place them in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until they are golden.
- These cigars are perfect as a starter with aubergine salad, houmous, tzatziki and pitta bread.