- Yield: 6 Servings (11⁄3 cups each)
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 3 Hours 30 Minutes
- 22⁄3 cups dried black beans (1 lb), sorted, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups beef-flavored broth (from 32-oz carton) or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum or apple cider
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large tomato, chopped (1 cup)
How to Make It
- In 4- or 5-quart Dutch oven, place beans and enough cold water to cover beans. Heat to boiling; boil uncovered 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand 1 hour. Drain and discard liquid. Set beans aside.
- In same Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and reserved beans. Heat to boiling; boil 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer about 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Carefully pour soup into blender. Cover; blend until almost smooth.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.