- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 long baguette halved lengthways and cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 8 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 5½ oz/1 cup (150 g) bread and butter pickles
- 8 thin slices ham
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 fl oz/¼ cup (60 ml) orange juice
- 2 fl oz/¼ cup (60 ml) lime juice
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lb 4 oz (1 kg) pork shoulder
How to Make It
- .To braise the pork, combine the oil, orange juice, lime juice, garlic, oregano and spices in a large bowl. Add the pork and tumble the meat around to coat in the mixture. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes, or refrigerate for 3–6 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F). Transfer the pork and all the marinade to a roasting tin. Add 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) water and roast for 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 170°C (325°F). Tightly cover the roasting tin with foil, then bake for a further 3–3½ hours. Remove from the oven and allow the pork to rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Shred the pork. Spread the baguette halves with mustard, then fill with layers of shredded pork, cheese, pickles and ham. Cook the sandwiches, using a sandwich press, until the bread is golden and crisp, or wrap in foil and bake in a preheated 180°C (350°F) oven for 10 minutes. Cut into slices to serve.