Basic simple syrup is just equal parts sugar and water, cooked until the sugar dissolves and then chilled. You can use this to sweeten myriad cold drinks, iced tea, iced coffee, and, of course, cocktails.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 lime zest, removed with a vegetable peeler
- 1 lime juice (about 2 tablespoons juice)
- 8 ounces dark rum
- 2 (12-ounce) cans ginger beer, preferably Gosling’s
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for garnish
- Mint sprigs, for garnish
How to Make It
- Chill 4 highball glasses in the freezer. In a small saucepan, combine ½ cup water, the sugar, ginger, and lime zest strips. Bring to a simmer and cook just until the sugar is dissolved. Let steep 30 minutes and then strain. Stir the lime juice into the syrup.
- Remove the glasses from the freezer and fill with ice cubes. Divide the syrup and rum among the glasses. Fill to the top with ginger beer. Stir and garnish with the lime wedges and the mint.