Dry curry is perfect for onigiri as it doesn’t contain any liquid. When cooking the curry for this onigiri, the aroma is simply irresistible!
- Yield: 8
- ½ tbsp Butter
- ½ Onion peeled and finely diced
- 1 Japanese green pepper (piman) seeded and finely diced
- 1 oz (30 g) Carrot peeled and finely diced
- 3½ oz (100 g) Minced beef
- 3½ oz (100 g) Minced pork
- 1 tbsp Japanese curry powder + more to taste
- ½ tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Japanese soy sauce (shoyu)
- ½ tbsp sake
- 14 oz (480 g) Cooked Japanese short grain rice
How to Make It
- Heat butter in a frying pan over medium heat and sauté onion until translucent.
- Add green pepper and carrot and cook for 1–2 minutes.
- Increase heat and add minced beef and pork and cook until meat changes colour. Add curry powder and mix well. Add sugar, soy sauce and sake and cook until the moisture has evaporated. Add rice to the pan and mix well to combine. Remove from heat.
- Place cling wrap in a rice bowl and scoop one-eighth of the rice mixture in the bowl. Pull out rice together with cling wrap and mould rice into your preferred shape. Repeat with the remaining ingredients