These stuffed mushrooms topped with fried eggs are great for a healthy weekend brunch. Kale is a key ingredient as it’s a powerhouse of nutrients, especially vitamins A, B6, C and K, as well as calcium and magnesium.
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- 4 large flat portobello or field mushrooms
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ¼ small red onion, diced
- 1 small red (bell) pepper, deseeded and diced
- 2 oz (60 g) kale, trimmed and finely chopped
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- 1½oz/scant ½ cup (45 g) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil, plus extra for spraying
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- a pinch of cayenne, for sprinkling
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/375°F/gas 5.
- .Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and chop them finely. Set aside. Place the mushroom ‘cups’ on a baking tray (cookie sheet). Season them with salt and pepper and spray lightly with oil. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil in a wok or large frying pan (skillet) set over a medium–high heat. Add the onion and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes until it starts to soften. Add the diced mushroom stalks, red (bell) pepper, kale and paprika and cook for 5–6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all the vegetables are tender. If the mixture is too dry, add a splash of water to moisten it. Stir in the grated cheese.
- Divide the mixture between the baked mushrooms and return to the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a clean frying pan and fry the eggs until the whites are set. Remove and drain on kitchen paper (paper towels).
- Serve the hot mushroom cups topped with the fried eggs sprinkled with cayenne.