- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
- 2-½ lbs San Marzano tomatoes, washed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 basil leaves, whole and washed
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make It
- Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry eggs over hard and set aside.
- Bring a large, well-salted pot of water to a boil. Add the tomatoes and cook until soft and tender, about six minutes.
- With a vegetable mill, using the disk with the smallest holes, sieve the tomatoes.
- In a cooking pot, add the oil, strained tomatoes, salt and pepper, and cook on medium-high. When the sauce starts to boil, gently add the fried eggs. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally, being careful not to break the eggs.
- Remove from heat and add your fresh basil leaves.
- Pour over your favorite pasta, top with one egg and grated Parmesan cheese.