- 1 lb (500 g) fresh shrimp
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1½ cups (100 g) fine bread crumbs Oil, for deep frying
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- ½ in (1 cm) fresh ginger, peeled
- 2-3 whole shallots, peeled
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1-2 tablespoons hot sauce (Sriracha or Tabasco)
How to Make It
- Peel the shrimp, discarding the heads but leaving the tail sections intact. Devein and flatten into a butterfly shape by pressing gently with the hand.
- To prepare the Sweet and Sour Sauce, grill the ginger and shallots under the broiler, turning until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Place the ginger, shallots, vinegar, sugar, salt and ketchup in a pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and simmer until all the sugar has dissolved. Remove the ginger and shallots from the pan. Bring to a boil again, then add the hot sauce. Simmer until just thickened, then remove from the heat. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Dip the shrimp in the egg and bread crumbs. Deep-fry until golden brown and serve with the Sweet and Sour Sauce.