Traditional Greek dish in various combinations and flavors with béchamel French sauce.
- 2 thin zucchini cut in slices
- 2 thin eggplants cut in slices
- Béchamel Sauce
- 3 cups of mushrooms (marinated in tamari, olive oil, lemon, salt and spices)
- 1 cup of walnuts (soaked for 2 hours)
- 1 big carrot shredded
- 3 red bell peppers chopped in strings
- A handful of parsley finely chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped anise root
- 2 tbsp chopped white onion
- 1-2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 3 tbsp black olives chopped in slices
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes soaked for 1 hour
- 4 fresh tomatoes cut into cubes
How to Make It
- Cut and put the eggplants in salty water for 1 hour to eliminate their bitter taste.
- Marinate the sliced vegetables with a little olive oil, vinegar, salt and garlic and let them stay for 1 hour. Dehydrate afterwards for 30-40 minutes.
- In a food processor add first the walnuts and the dried tomatoes and pulse 1-2 times.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients and pulse 2-3 times.
- Let the filling stay into a bowl for 30 minutes to extract the flavors.
- Move the filling into a strainer to remove the liquids before you serve.
- Use a bottomless square cookie cutter or a square cake mold.
- Arrange the first layer of the dehydrated eggplants or zucchini.
- Spread above the first layer of the filling.
- Repeat the procedure with the next layers of vegetables and filling.
- On top spread the béchamel sauce and serve with tomatoes cut in cubes and slices of olives on the side.