A popular Spanish-influenced dish that is so quick and easy to prepare. It may be served as a soup or stew depending on the amount of liquid added. Absolutely delicious with rice!
- 1½ tablespoons oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 shallots or 1 onion, diced
- 4 small tomatoes, diced
- 12 oz (350 g) ground beef
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (patis)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups (1 liter) water
- Parsley or coriander leaves (cilantro), coarsely chopped, to garnish
How to Make It
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and stir-fry the garlic until golden brown. Add the shallots or onion and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and cook until they soften.
- Add the ground beef and season with the fish sauce and pepper. Stir-fry for 5 minutes to brown the meat. Add the potatoes and water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, over low heat until the beef and potatoes are cooked, about 20 minutes (add more water if needed or if you prefer a more soupy dish).
- Ladle the stew into a large serving bowl and garnish with fresh parsley or coriander leaves. Serve hot with white rice.