The unique factor in this recipe is the addition of Muenster cheese, which provides a sweet, nutty flavor. When the Muenster is combined with the cream, you get a smooth, cheesy, irresistible dish.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- 1½ pounds sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1½ pounds russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces cooked ham, shredded
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- Fresh thyme, for garnish
How to Make It
- Spray the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, flour, garlic, salt, and pepper and toss to coat.
- Place half the potatoes in a layer over the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with half the ham and half the cheddar cheese. Add another layer of potatoes, ham, and the remaining cheddar cheese. Pour the cream over the top and arrange the Muenster cheese as a final layer.
- Cover and cook on Low for 4 to 5 hours. Check after 4 hours to determine if the potatoes are tender; if not, cook for 30 minutes to 1 hour more. Serve immediately or keep warm for up to 2 hours in the slow cooker on the Warm setting. Garnish with fresh thyme and additional salt and pepper, to taste.