Braised beans make an incredible comfort food, especially in the colder months of winter. They store well as leftovers, too. This recipe is made on the stove, but you could use a slow cooker, if you prefer.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Total Time: 4 Hours 25 Minutes
- 1 cup of white navy or cannellini beans– soak overnight
- 1 cup of chick peas, dried – soak overnight
- 2 tbsp of butter, unsalted
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 1 x 24-oz. jar of tomatoes, crushed
- 4 cups of stock, chicken
- 3 sprigs of rosemary, fresh
- 3 sprigs of thyme, fresh
- 1 head of chopped kale
- 2 tsp of salt, sea
- ½ tsp. of black pepper, fresh ground
How to Make It
- Place beans and chick peas in large sized bowl. Cover with filtered water. Add a couple pinches baking soda. Allow to soak at room temp overnight.
- Next day, drain the beans and rinse them. Melt the butter in large sized pot on med. heat. Add celery, onion and garlic. Cook for four to five minutes, till barely tender.
- Add tomatoes, thyme, rosemary, beans and stock. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Allow to cook till beans become tender, or about four hours.
- 15-20 minutes before you serve, bring pot of salted water to boil. Add kale. Cook for eight minutes. Drain.
- When beans become tender, add and stir cooked kale, salt and ground pepper. Serve.