The fusion of hot cocoa and ice cream creates something that goes above and beyond ordinary dessert. The word “affogato” means “drowned,” and this version of the Italian dish is made with ice cream generously bathed in hot cocoa. As soon as hot cocoa hits ice cream, melting begins, and the marriage of hot and cold turns ice cream into an instant float, creating a creamy, festive dinner party indulgence.
- Yield: 1
- 1 large scoop vanilla ice cream
- ¼ cup Obligatory Hot Cocoa
- ½ tablespoon Grand Marnier or Cointreau (optional)
- Pinch of sea salt, such as fleur de sel
- Add two scoops of ice cream to a bowl or large cup. Pour hot cocoa over the ice cream.
- Drizzle with liqueur if desired. Sprinkle sea salt on top.