- Yield: 15 buns
- Preparation Time: 45 Minutes
- 1½ cups whole milk, lukewarm
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, beaten
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup dried mixed fruits
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons water
How to Make It
For the buns
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, granulated sugar, and yeast. Stir until combined and let rest for 15 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together 4 cups of the flour, the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom until combined. Mix in the eggs and butter.
- Pour the yeast mixture over the flour. Switch to the dough hook attachment and mix for 5 to 6 minutes. Add the dried fruit and orange zest and mix for another minute. Add more flour if the dough is wet. It should be soft and elastic.
- Coat a large bowl with the vegetable oil, place the dough in the bowl, and roll it so all sides are coated with a bit of oil. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into 15 pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a bun and place on the prepared baking sheet. Cover with a damp tea towel and set aside for 30 minutes, until the buns have doubled. Bake the buns for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. For the syrup
- In a small saucepan, combine a ¼ cup of water and the granulated sugar and bring to a boil over low heat. Let it boil for a few minutes until the syrup has thickened. Remove from the heat and brush the tops with the syrup. For the icing
- In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and water until a creamy consistency is achieved. Transfer the icing to a piping bag and pipe an “X” over each bun. Serve.