Use the Soup setting on your Instant Pot to make this rich and delicious Jordanian mansaf. It comes together quickly and the lamb is fall-apart tender when it’s done.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Total Time: 47 Minutes
For the yogurt sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 (1-inch) cinnamon stick
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 1 cup full-fat yogurt
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
For the Lamb
- ¼ cup Ghee
- 1 pound boneless leg of lamb, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 cups sliced yellow onions
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
How to Make It
For the Yogurt Sauce
- In a clean coffee grinder or spice grinder, combine the cumin, coriander, salt, peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cardamom. Grind the spice mix to medium coarseness.
- In a blender, combine the yogurt, water, cornstarch, and spice mix and blend for about 1 minute. (This thorough blending is what will keep the yogurt from curdling when cooked.) For the Lamb
- Select saute on the Instant Pot. When the pot is hot, add the ghee. When the ghee has melted, add the lamb and onions. Cook, stirring, just long enough to coat the lamb and onions with the ghee, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the yogurt sauce and mix well so the ghee is incorporated into the sauce. Select cancel.
- Secure the lid on the pot. Close the pressure-release valve. Select the soup setting and set to cook for 10 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, allow the pot to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure.
- To serve, place the rice on a platter. Arrange the meat over the rice, along with some of the sauce. Pass any extra sauce at the table. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and almonds and serve.