This is a very delicate and delicious cookie. Th e lemon icing makes for a fancy touch.
- Yield: 12 bars
- ½ cup (100 g) Spectrum Organic Shortening
- ¾ cup (94 g) Bob’s Red Mill white rice flour
- ½ cup (65 g) cornstarch
- ½ cup (50 g) powdered sugar
- 0.12 teaspoon (0.6 g) baking powder
- 0.12 teaspoon (0.8 g) salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (1.7 g) lemon zest
- 1 cup (120 g) powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons (3.4 g) lemon zest
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). To make the shortbread
- In a food processor, combine all shortbread ingredients and process for 1 minute. Using your hands, press dough into an 8-inch (20-cm) square baking pan lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until edges are golden. Let sit for half an hour on a baking sheet to cool. With a sharp knife, cut into small bars. Carefully remove from pan with a small spatula.
- To make the icing: Mix together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. With a spoon, drizzle icing over each bar. Sprinkle a touch of lemon zest over each iced bar if desired. Let icing harden before serving.