- Yield: 3 to 4 pints
- Total Time: 10 Hours 30 Minutes
- 5½ LBS apples
- 2¼ Cup sugar
- 1¼ Tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tsp ground cloves
How to Make It
- Peel, core, and chop the apples into 1-inch cubes and place in a slow cooker. Pour sugar over apples and stir to distribute. Cover and cook on low for at least 9 hours or until any remaining apple chunks break when pierced with a fork.
- Uncover and stir in cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Cover and cook an additional hour on low. Total cooking time is 10 hours.
- Uncover and stir. Using an immersion blender, blend the apple butter until uniformly smooth. Blending can take place in a traditional blender or food processor, but only after the apple butter has cooled enough to handle. For a more chunky butter, use a potato masher.
- Apple butter can be stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator for 7 to 8 weeks.