ere’s a quick, stove top way to make macaroni and cheese and still have the heavenly crust of an oven-baked version. I serve it with whole wheat dinner rolls and a platter filled with raw, fresh vegetables, such as celery, carrot and cucumber sticks, broccoli and cauliflower florets, and cherry tomatoes.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- 2 cups (500 ml) macaroni
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) paprika
- 2 cups (500 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until just tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Meanwhile, place the milk, flour and paprika in a bowl and whisk until lump-free. Pour into a 10- to 12-inch (25 to 30 cm) nonstick ovenproof skillet and set over medium heat. Cook the mixture, whisking frequently, until it gently simmers and begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Mix in 1½ cups (375 ml) of the cheese; season with salt and white pepper. Cook and stir until the cheese melts; reduce to low heat. Place an oven rack 6 inches (15 cm) beneath the broiler; preheat the broiler.
- Drain the cooked macaroni well and mix into the cheese sauce. Stir in a little extra milk if you find the consistency too thick. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup (125 ml) of cheese overtop and place under the broiler until it’s nicely browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.