This is one of those magical dishes that has a contrast of temperatures and textures in all the right ways. The rich, juicy peaches bring sweet acidity, while their heat balances the cold of the ice cream. It all comes together on a bed of waffles that are crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. If you are fortunate enough to have wild fennel flowers growing nearby, pick some and sprinkle them on top of this dish just before serving. Their anisette flavor will add an unexpected surprise, and their star-shaped prettiness is downright adorable.
- Yield: 2 Servings
- ½ recipe Roasted White Peaches with Olive Oil, Lavender Honey & Sea Salt
- 1 Orange-Scented Waffles with “Toffee”
- 1 cup (240 ml) Cherry-Vanilla Ice Cream
- Fennel flowers for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the roasted peach by cutting each half into three slices, so you have six crescentshaped peach slices. Prepare the waffles according to the recipe. When I prepare this dessert, I like to make the waffles organically misshapen so that they are not perfectly round or square. They will be best enjoyed fresh off the waffle iron. Cut each waffle in half diagonally
- Set out two plates and on each plate place one waffle half and lean the second half against it so it stands up. Tuck three peach slices around the waffles on each plate. Place a scoop of the ice cream on top. If the ice cream begins to melt, fear not; it will create a wonderful sauce for the warm peaches and waffles. Garnish with fennel flowers, if desired, and serve.