For these mint balls, we take one of America’s favorite and most recognizable cookies and transform it into something completely different: a no-bake treat that’s part cookie and part candy. Instead of beginning with the classic cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, we reached for Oreo Mint Creme cookies for a cookie ball that’s both rich and cooling. A food processor, microwave, and freezer were all we needed to turn out these no-bake treats in less than an hour. We mixed ground Oreos with cream cheese and rolled the mixture into balls. After the balls spent 20 minutes in the freezer they were firm enough to dip in chocolate. We melted the chocolate in the microwave along with a little oil, which gave the coating a velvety consistency. After we dipped them, we quickly topped the balls with sprinkles before the chocolate had a chance to set and returned them to the freezer again until the chocolate hardened. The end result? Tasty, rich, minty treats made in just 45 minutes. For the proper texture, be sure to serve the mint balls chilled. You can substitute 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips for the semisweet chocolate.
- Yield: 15 balls
- 14 Oreo Mint Creme cookies
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon green sprinkles
- Line large plate with parchment paper. Process cookies in food processor until finely ground, about 1 minute. Stir cream cheese and cookies in bowl until uniform. Roll mixture into fifteen 1-inch balls and space them evenly on prepared plate. Freeze, uncovered, until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Microwave chocolate and oil in bowl at 50 percent power, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth, 2 to 4 minutes. Using toothpick, dip mint ball into melted chocolate to coat, letting excess chocolate drip back into bowl. Return mint ball to plate, remove toothpick, and immediately decorate with sprinkles. Repeat with remaining mint balls and chocolate. Freeze mint balls, uncovered, until chocolate has hardened, about 10 minutes. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.