- Yield: 20 rolls
For the Rolls
- 1¼ cups milk
- 1 (1⁄4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 2¾ tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 2 egg yolks
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- Flake salt (like Maldon salt), to finish
For the Sweet Miso Butter
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons sweet white miso
How to Make It
For the Rolls
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk to 110–115°F. Remove from the heat, add the yeast, sugar, shortening, and 2 tablespoons of the butter. Stir to combine and set aside uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the milk mixture to a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Turn the mixer on low and add in the yolks. Combine the flour and salt and add to the mixer. As soon as the dough comes together, change the paddle attachment to the dough hook and knead on low for about 4 to 5 minutes. You can also do this all by hand—mixing the dough together and then kneading on a flat surface for the same amount of time.
- Gather the dough in a ball and place in a large, greased bowl. Flip so that all sides of the dough are greased, cover with a towel, and let rise for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and melt the other 3 tablespoons of butter. Portion the dough into 20 even pieces and roll into roughly 2" balls. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with the melted butter. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and set aside to rise for another 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Brush with any remaining melted butter and sprinkle with the flake salt. For the Sweet Miso Butter
- Mix together the butter and miso with a spoon until uniform.
- Serve rolls hot with the sweet miso butter.