- Yield: 4 Servings
- rapeseed oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely sliced
- 3 cm ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 green finger chillies, finely chopped
- 900 g frozen petit pois
- 600 ml hot vegetable stock
- 0.5 lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 30 g fresh mint leaves, chopped (plus extra to decorate)
- 25 g fresh dill, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- a pinch of salt
How to Make It
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a deep saucepan and, when hot, add the onion. Fry until soft and translucent, but not golden, then add the ginger, garlic and green chillies. Stir for a couple of minutes, then add the peas, hot stock, lemon juice and garam masala.
- Bring the peas to the boil, add the herbs, stir to mix, then take off the heat. Whizz up in a blender, pour back into the pan and reheat gently
- In the meantime, make a hot cumin-flavoured oil (tarka) to pour over the top of the soup. Pour a slug of oil into a small frying pan over a medium heat and, when hot, add the cumin seeds. Leave to sizzle until they brown, add the salt and take off the heat.
- Transfer the soup into four bowls, sprinkle over the remaining mint leaves and pour over the cumin oil.