Porridge is always a healthy and warming way to start the day, and because it’s high in fibre and low GI it makes you feel full, so you’re less likely to feel hungry and need a snack mid-morning.
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
- 3 oz/1 cup (85 g) rolled oats
- 8 fl oz/1 cup (240 ml) water
- 8 fl oz/1 cup (240 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (no added sugar)
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 small banana, sliced
- 2 tbsp toasted pecans or almonds, chopped
- maple syrup, for drizzling
How to Make It
- Put the oats, water, almond milk and salt in a non-stick saucepan and set over a low heat. Stir gently with a wooden spoon until the oats start to soften, then increase the heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook gently for 2–3 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed and the porridge is thick and creamy.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the peanut butter and maple syrup.
- Spoon the porridge into two breakfast bowls and top with the sliced banana and nuts. Serve hot, drizzled with maple syrup.