You can prepare the couscous, pumpkin and beetroot the night before and store them in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator. Just add the other salad ingredients and the dressing when you’re ready to eat. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy 😉
- Yield: 1 Serving
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 35 Minutes
- 1 small beetroot, cut into wedges
- Oil spray
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 60 g pumpkin, cut into 1.5 cm cubes
- 30 g pearl couscous
- 1 small handful spinach leaves
- ¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 150 g tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan/gas 4) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the beetroot wedges on the lined baking tray and spray lightly with oil spray. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven, add the pumpkin and spray lightly with oil spray. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Bake in the oven for a further 15–20 minutes or until the beetroot is tender and the pumpkin is soft and lightly browned, turning the pumpkin with tongs every 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Fill a saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Stir in the pearl couscous and simmer over medium heat for 10–12 minutes until al dente. Drain and set aside to cool.
- To make the dressing, whisk the lemon juice, mustard, honey and vinegar together in a small bowl.
- To serve, place the pumpkin, beetroot, couscous, spinach, onion and chickpeas in a serving bowl. Drizzle over the dressing and toss gently to combine.