- Yield: 4 Servingsas part of multicourse meal
- 4 cups (600 g) leftover, previously chilled cooked rice
- ½ lb (250 g) small raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons high-heat cooking oil, divided
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 green onions (scallions), minced
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¾ cup (120 g) frozen peas and carrots, defrosted
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
How to Make It
- Gently separate the rice grains with a fork, taking care not to smush the delicate grains. In a bowl, toss the shrimp with the salt, pepper and cornstarch. Let marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Set a wok or large sauté pan on high heat. When the wok is hot enough for a bead of water to instantly sizzle and evaporate, add 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil and swirl to coat the wok. Add the shrimp, quickly spreading it out around the cooking surface area so that they are not overlapping. Let fry, untouched for 30 seconds. Flip over and let the other side fry for 30 seconds, or until almost cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the wok to a plate, leaving as much oil in the wok as possible.
- Turn the heat to medium and let the wok heat up again. Add the eggs, stirring in a quick motion to scramble the eggs. When the eggs are almost cooked through (they should still be slightly runny in the middle), dish out of the wok into the same plate with the cooked shrimp.
- Use paper towels to wipe the same wok clean and return it to high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, swirling to coat. When the oil is hot, add the green onions and fry until fragrant, about 15 to 30 seconds. Add the rice and stir well to mix in the green onions throughout. Spread the rice all around the wok surface area and let the rice heat up, untouched until you hear the bottoms of the grains sizzle, about 1 minute. Use a spatula to toss the rice, again spreading the rice out over the surface of wok and let cook for 1 minute.
- Drizzle the fish sauce (or soy sauce) all around the rice and toss. Add the peas and carrots, the cooked eggs, partially cooked shrimp and sesame oil, tossing to mix the rice evenly with all the ingredients. Repeat the tossing, spreading and 1-minute frying until each and every grain of rice is heated through. Taste and adjust with additional soy sauce if needed.