Duff’s Pineapple Hummingbird Cake recipe was modeled into a signature truffle by Godiva Chocolatier and is a favorite at Charm City Cakes.
- Yield: 2 (9") round cakes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh diced pineapple, with juice
- 1 cup chopped, toasted pecans
- 3 ripe bananas
For Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare the cake pans with baking spray and line with parchment paper rounds. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl by hand with a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula. Add eggs and oil, stirring by hand until the dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in vanilla, pineapple, pecans, and bananas.
- Pour batter evenly into the two prepared cake pans, scraping bowl with a rubber spatula. Spread batter with an offset spatula so that it is evenly spread in pan. Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the center. The cake will slightly shrink away from the sides of the pans.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes. Run a small offset spatula around the outside of the cake to loosen from the pan; then carefully flip the cake out of the pan onto the wire rack. Place the cake right-side up on rack and let it cool completely. For Cream Cheese Icing
- Combine cream cheese and butter in mixer until light and well blended. Add vanilla, continuing to blend. Slowly add confectioners’ sugar until icing is rich, smooth, and spreadable. To Complete
- Assemble cake by spreading a layer of Cream Cheese Icing using an offset spatula onto one Cake layer. Place the second Cake layer on top of the buttercream-covered first. Ice the entire assembled Cake with Cream Cheese Icing.